Montreal - Paint & Roto Artists
Paint & Roto artists work closely alongside Compositors to help them integrate all elements of a shot, including cg and live action to create film visual effect shots.
This will include artists creating mattes for CG holdouts as well as using various techniques and software to remove items, such as wires, rigs and, tracking markers.
- Creating roto mattes for compositors to use and have a comprehensive understanding of how the mattes are used.
- Using patches and frame - by - frame painting techniques to remove rigs and tracking markers.
- Degrain and Regrain paint work before it leaves the department.
- Have an understanding of 3D tracking and be able to use various software to create 1, 2 and 4 point tracks.
- Creating foreground mattes for animators to use within Maya.
- Using Linux to navigate around and create shot directories.
- Create and reconstruct a picture that doesn't exist.
- Use expressions within Nuke to help aid paint work.
- Have an understanding of the 3D environment within Nuke and be able to use geo data to project clean plates and understand how to use UV projections.
- Be able to accurately bid on how long paint and roto shots will take to complete.
- Learn and develop specific Framestore built gizmos and the companies work ethics.
- Complete basic comps in Nuke and demonstrate keying, grading, re-timing and screen insertion.
- Show a willingness to learn new techniques and software, reiterate this to the rest of the department and train other artists.
Key Skills & Experience
- Traditional art and design skills including a knowledge of composition and colour.
- Previous use of Nuke is essential.
- Prior knowledge of Linux based operating system
- Having an understanding of motion blur and how it affects mattes and patches.
- Prior use with a Rotoscoping software package, applicants would desirably have frame by frame Paint & Roto experience within Silhouette.
- Have a considerable understanding of the principles of colour space, grain and be consistently aware of correct naming conventions and job structures.
- A desire to learn new techniques and software and teach fellow artists.
- Have a Arts or Science degree in an Moving Picture or Art related subject
- Excellent organisational and communication skills with a friendly, team spirit attitude to working.
- Be able to take criticism and feedback on work before and after it leaves the department.
- Have good problem solving skills and be able to work with fellow artists on a shot.
- Prior experience in Paint and Roto at a vfx house.
- 3D Maya interface experience
- A understanding of Python scripting and how to use this to create and edit Framestore Gizmos.
- Planar and point tracking software experience.
- A general understanding of the VFX production and comp workflow.
- Knowledge of photography and practical lighting would be helpful
Please include a link to your online showreel on your CV
Start date: ASAP